Everything You Know About Canada Extends Post-Graduation Work Permit

Canada extends post-graduation working papers to three years, no matter the program length. This policy shift opens doors for skilled talent to contribute and build careers in Canada. Individuals enrolling in master’s programs lasting but two years are now eligible for an extended three-year post-graduation working papers (PGWP), effective immediately. 

The IRCC has updated the prior association between the length of the study program and therefore the PGWP. The popularity of the many potentials that master’s degree graduates need to make valuable contributions to Canada’s market is reflected during this shift. 

With this update, Master’s degree holders are eligible for extended work permits, showcasing the Canadian government’s commitment to facilitating post-graduation opportunities for international students.

Students in programs at PGWP-eligible designated learning institutions (DLIs)—the only schools in Canada authorized to simply accept international students—that are a minimum of two years long also are eligible for an extended, three-year PGWP.

IRCC also will amend rules for spousal work permits for international students at an undergraduate level. This suggests only spouses of scholars at the master’s and doctoral levels are going to be eligible to receive a spousal working paper. This alteration won’t have any impact on spousal open work permits for the spouses or conjugal partners of Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

What Is The Post-Graduation Work Permit?

A post-graduation working paper (PGWP) allows you to stay in Canada and work full-time after you complete a certificate, diploma, or course of study that’s a minimum of 8 months long. You don’t need an employment offer to use and may work anywhere in Canada in any occupation. Certain jobs require a checkup, like those involving work with children or in healthcare settings. you’re not allowed to figure in jobs in danger of exploitation.

Reason For The Extension Of PGWP For Master’s Students?

Graduates of Master’s degree programs are considered to be excellent candidates for fulfillment within the Canadian market. Such international graduates even have the potential to transition to Canadian permanent residence. The change to the length of the PGWP will permit such students to satisfy the specified Canadian work experience to use for a Canada PR visa.

A PGWP may be a practical way to advance your career goals and gain Canadian work experience after completing your studies in Canada. For college kids who have an interest in applying for Canadian permanent residency (PR), it provides a chance to realize one year of skilled work experience in Canada, which could surely be helpful for PR programs.

You can only apply for the PGWP once in your lifetime. If you’re unsure if you’ll stay or return to Canada after your studies, consider applying for the PGWP just in case your plans change since you’ll lose the chance to use it 180 days after your letter of completion first becomes available. you do not have to sleep in Canada or hold employment at the least times to keep the working papers valid.

Applying For Post-Graduation Working Papers

Eligible graduates of Canadian educational institutions may apply for a PGWP within 180 days of graduating. It doesn’t matter whether you’re inside or outside of Canada once you apply, goodbye as you’re eligible and it’s within the 180-day deadline. You will get to show proof that you simply attended and completed your program, and supply information about the name of your program and the way long the program ran for. There are specific documents required.

Post-Graduation Working Papers Eligibility Criteria

People must fulfill specific requirements as stated by IRCC to be eligible for a PGWP. These criteria typically include:

  • Completed studies in a tutorial, vocational, or professional educational program lasting a minimum of eight months at a DLI recognized by IRCC.
  • Enrolled during a program that resulted in the attainment of a degree, diploma, or certificate.
  • Maintained full-time student status throughout each school term of the program(s) of study in Canada, as indicated on the PGWP application, with limited exceptions permitted.
  • Provided with a transcript and a politician letter from an eligible DLI confirming the fulfillment of program requirements, both of which are mandatory components of the PGWP application.

Have completed a program at a public post-secondary institution, including but not limited to :

  • Graduated from college.
  • Completed a program at a trade or tech.
  • Attained a degree from a university.
  • Successfully finished studies at a CEGEP (in Quebec).
  • Completed a program at a personal post-secondary school (in Quebec) operating under equivalent regulations as public schools in Quebec.
  • Finished studies at a personal secondary or post-secondary school (in Quebec) offering qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer resulting in a diploma of vocational studies (DVS) or an attestation of vocational specialization (AVS)
  • Graduated from a Canadian school with the authority to confer degrees under provincial law (e.g., Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctorate), but as long as enrolled during a study program resulting in a degree as authorized by the province.

All the mentioned educational establishments must actively hold recognition as DLIs.

Additional Situations

You’re still eligible for the PGWP in any of the subsequent situations:

  • You studied part-time in your final school term only, which UBC defines as full-time study.
  • You took a licensed leave or had a niche in studies which is taken into account actively pursuing studies for fewer than 150 days.
  • You were eligible for the temporary PGWP policies in situ until August 31, 2024, which allowed courses moved online thanks to COVID-19 to count towards the length of your PGWP. 

See the subsequent FAQs for details on eligibility:

  • Students who begin a program between September 2022 and August 2024
  • Students who were enrolled in a PGWP-eligible program in March 2020 or began a program between March 2020 and August 2022

When To Submit a Post-Graduation Working Papers Application

Within 180 days of the date of applying for the post-graduation working papers, you want to also meet one of the subsequent criteria:

  • You hold a legitimate study permit, OR
  • You held a study permit, OR
  • You were authorized to review in Canada without the need to get a study permit under paragraphs 188(1)(a) and (b) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. 

Validity : Post-Graduation Working Papers  

Post-graduation working papers could also be valid for up to 3 years, counting on the duration of the study program in Canada completed by the applicant. Moreover, the post-graduation working papers are open working papers, allowing its bearer to figure in any location in Canada, not restricted to any employer. Neither the applicant nor an employer must obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) before the worker may begin working in Canada. The post-graduation working papers are usually mentioned as post-graduate working papers.

Length Of The Post-Graduation Work Permit

The length of the working papers ranges from 8 months to three years supporting the length of your full-time program, not the quantity of your time spent completing program requirements. The PGWP length is going to be supported by the extent and duration of the study program. The expiry date of the student’s passport also will be taken into consideration.

Processing Time

This depends on where the applicant is at the time they apply for his or her PGWP. PGWP submitted within Canada is currently taking 4 months to process. The processing times for applications submitted outside of Canada will depend upon the processing delays of the processing office.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button