How To Find Work On Canada Student Visa and Spouse Visa

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) reported increasing demand for study permits in Canada. The growing popularity among other major study destinations might be thanks to various options for adding Canada on a student visa, not just for oneself but also for a spouse or common-law partner immigrating alongside the permit holder. 

With many immigration options for international students now open, interested candidates are presumably to urge their choice of the study course and eventually, qualify for permanent residency status in Canada. Thousands of international students pursue education at Canada’s prestigious Colleges and Universities yearly. Many of those students are married and have families they do not want to part from.

Additionally, a recent survey noted Canada’s reputation for safety and stability as a serious decision about choosing to review. Yes, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) offers each international student’s spouse the choice of applying for spousal working papers.

Work Options in Canada for Study Visa Holders

Work-study visas are superb thanks to retaining foreign skilled talent and also allow them to gain some local work experience. This is often an excellent thanks to qualify for immigration, say permanent residence visas under the points-based immigration system. Generally, students switching schools or taking a licensed leave from their studies aren’t allowed to figure in Canada on student visas.

Let’s explore various options for adding Canada to a student visa.  

  1. Off-campus work rules

Off-campus work rules apply in situations where students like to work for an employer in Canada that’s not located on the university/college/institution campus. Student visa in Canada allows work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic semesters, and full-time during scheduled academic breaks, like winter, spring, and summer break.

Typically, a world student must make sure the following prerequisites to figure in Canada on a student visa off-campus: 

  • enroll themselves during a full-time study course of a minimum of 6 months at any Designated Learning Institution (DLI) resulting in a certificate, diploma, or degree
  • hold a legitimate Canadian study permit
  • have a social welfare number (SIN)

Students that aren’t eligible to figure off campus include

  • visiting or exchange students at a delegated learning institution
  • students only taking courses required to be accepted into a full-time program
  • students enrolled in English as a Second Language (ESL) or French as a Second Language (FSL) program
  1. On-campus work rules

On-campus work rules apply in situations where students like better to work for an employer located on the university/college/institution campus itself. 

Such employers within the campus might be 

  • the school,
  • a faculty member,
  • a student organization,
  • a private business on campus,
  • a private contractor providing services to the varsity, or
  • self-employed on-campus.

Exception for international students who are teaching or research assistants. they will work in a library, hospital, or research center related to their school in Canada albeit it’s outside the campus. 

Students who aren’t eligible to figure on campus include

  • students whose study permit has expired
  • students who stop studying full-time unless they’re in their final semester and meet other requirements

III. Work Permits for Co-Op Students and Interns

Co-op study programs mandate students to undergo work internships to account for it in program credits and complete the study course. Eligible students need separate co-op working papers to figure in Canada on a student visa. The co-op working papers may be a separate, closed-work permit. it’s going to only be used for work that’s essential to the program of study.

While international students generally don’t need a separate working paper to figure out while studying in Canada, there’s a crucial exception. Some study programs require the scholar to finish a Co-op or internship work placement to be ready to graduate. During this situation, international students require Co-op working papers in addition to their study permit.

To get a Co-op working paper, you’ll need a legitimate study permit and a letter from your university or college confirming all students in your program have complete work placements to urge their degree. The Co-op working papers are often issued together with your study permit. 

If your acceptance letter states that a Co-op or internship placement is required as a part of your study program, your working papers could also be processed as a part of your study permit application. It’s also possible to use for Co-op working papers after you’ve already obtained your study permit, and you’ll apply online or by paper. 

Your university or college should be ready to assist you with this because the placement is a component of your study program, and they probably help many international students to use this permit annually.

  1. Post-graduation working papers

Open working papers called Post-Graduation working papers (PGWP) allow international students to study in Canada full-time upon graduation. The PGWP is valid for up to 3 years and allows the holder to figure for an employer of their choice in Canada. 

A post-graduation working paper allows a world student who has graduated from a delegated learning institution (DLI) to stay in Canada for a short time after their period of study. 


It is an open working paper, which authorizes them to figure for any employer in Canada. Canadian work experience can help an individual qualify for Canadian permanent residence also, usually through the Canadian Experience Class or an employer-driven Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).

Work Options in Canada for Partner/Spouse

If your spouse is currently working or studying in Canada, or if you’ve applied to be sponsored for permanent residence by your spouse or partner in Canada, you’ll be eligible for an open working paper.

If a far off national is successful in their working papers application, they’re going to be issued an open working papers authorizing them to figure for multiple employers in any location in Canada while their permanent residency application is processing, or while their spouse has valid status in Canada. 

The application procedure for the spousal sponsorship open working papers varies counting on the applicant’s status in Canada or the stage of their permanent residency application. A spouse open working papers allows the spouse of certain temporary Canadian permit holders to figure anywhere in Canada, for any employer, with few restrictions.

Eligibility requirements for a spousal working papers and visa

The spouse or common-law partner could also be eligible to add Canada on a student visa of a world student. so as to qualify for a spousal open working papers, you want to meet certain minimum requirements, including:

  • Be a principal applicant who has submitted a permanent residence application under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class; or, as a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner under the family class that has been accepted for processing by IRCC after meeting a completeness check, which has not been refused or withdrawn.
  • Have submitted a piece permit application where the duration of the working papers requested is for a maximum of two years
  • Is the subject of a sponsorship application submitted by their Canadian citizen or permanent resident spouse, common-law or conjugal partner
  • Have an equivalent residential address as their sponsor in Canada at the time of the appliance
  • Have a legitimate temporary resident status in Canada or is eligible for and has applied for the restoration of their status
  • The applicant and therefore the sponsor must meet all eligibility requirements under spousal or common-law partner sponsorship

The spouse or common-law partner of international students on a legitimate study permit is eligible for an open working papers if the student:

  • eligible for a Postgraduate working papers (PGWP)
  • enrolled in a full-time program at one among the general public post-secondary schools, a personal college-level school in Quebec or a Canadian school which will legally award a degree under provincial law.


If you’ve got a spouse or common-law partner currently studying or working in Canada, you’ll apply for a spouse working papers to figure in Canada for a selected time. A Spouse working papers Canada isn’t job-specific, meaning you’ll accept any job with any Canadian employer. Your common-law partner must have a legitimate visa and currently working or studying in Canada. Your Spouse working papers enables you to figure in Canada for an equivalent period as your spouse’s study or working papers. Sometimes, you’ll got to provide checkup results to urge a Spouse working papers Canada

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button